Questions to ask Cosmetic Surgeon/Staff
- What are the doctor’s qualifications? Is he a member of the Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons?
- How experienced is he or she in the type of surgery you want?
- How often does the doctor perform that procedure and when was the last occasion?
Physiologically, is this a suitable time for you to have cosmetic surgery or would you be better off waiting a few years?
- What procedures are available to improve your problem? Which one would be best for you and why?
- What results can you reasonably expect, given your physical features, and how long can you expect them to last?
- How safe is the procedure and what complications could arise? Are these complications common or rare and are they likely to occur during or after surgery?
- Where will the scars be located and do you have a choice? Will they improve with time and how long will that take?
- Is the procedure painful? What is the extent of post-operative pain, bleeding, bruising and swelling? How long will these effects last?
- What type of anaesthetic does the surgeon use and who administers it? Do you have a choice?
- Will you need any other drugs and, if so, are there any side effects associated with their use?
- How long will the procedure take?
- Where will it be performed – hospital, the surgeon’s own facility or a day-surgery centre?
Do you have a choice?
- Is the surgery or clinic equipped with life support and other emergency facilities should the need arise?
- What immediate after-care is available at the surgery or clinic?
- What kind of post-operative care will you need? Will you need someone to take you home?
Will you need someone to look after you and, if so, for how long?
- In the event that the surgeon is unavailable after the operation and you have a problem, who will take care of it?
- When can you resume physical activity, sexual activity (particularly related to breast surgery), social activity, and work?
- How long (days, weeks, months) will the entire healing process take?
- How much will the entire procedure cost – surgeon’s fee, anaesthetist’s fee, hospital or surgery costs, theatre fees, pharmaceutical’s or other costs? Are follow-up visits included?
- If additional treatment or surgery is necessary for post-operative complications (bleeding, infection, wound breakdown), who pays for it?
- If additional surgery is necessary at a later date (e.g., scar revision, secondary rhinoplasty, replacing ruptured implants), what extra costs are involved?
- Is anything recoverable on Medicare? If you have private health insurance, what will it cover?
- Hair: When can I dye my hair? (Latest possible date prior to surgery, soonest date following surgery?) How much hair will be cut away for the surgery?
- When can I resume wearing contact lenses?
- What brand of make-up is best for concealing bruising?
- May I see pictures of your work?
Will you ask some of your patients if they would be willing to talk to me about their procedure and their satisfaction with you as a surgeon?
To request an appointment, please enter the information and press the “Submit” button when you are through.
(*) Your name and phone number or email are required fields, so that we can contact you to confirm your appointment.
For a faster response please call: